Tolga Cağatay, Ph.D.
Education and Training
- Middle East Technical University. Ankara, Turkey, Department of Biology, Bachelor of Science, 1995
- Bilkent University. Ankara, Turkey. Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Master of Science in Molecular Biology and Genetics, 1997
- Bilkent University. Ankara, Turkey. Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics Doctor of Philosophy in Molecular Biology and Genetics, 2002
- 2012-present Instructor, Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Dallas, TX U.S.A
- 2008-2012 Instructor, Green Center for Systems Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Dallas, TX U.S.A
- 2006-2008 Postdoctoral Researcher II, Department of Pharmacology Green Center for Systems Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Dallas, TX U.S.A
- 2002-2006 Postdoctoral Fellow / Postdoctoral Researcher I, Department of Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Dallas, TX U.S.A
- 1995-2002 Graduate Ph.D. Student, and Research and Teaching Assistant, Bilkent University. Ankara, Turkey.
Honors and Awards
- 1995 – 2002 Full-Fellowship from Bilkent University to support graduate studies. Ankara, Turkey.
- 1992 – 1995 Educational Fellowship from The Council of Higher Education of Turkey
- Xu D, Marquis K, Pei J, Fu SC, Cağatay, T., Grishin NV, Chook YM. “LocNES: a computational tool for locating classical NESs in CRM1 cargo proteins” Bioinformatics. 2014 Dec 15. pii: btu826. [Epub ahead of print]
- Espinar, L., Cağatay, T., Süel G. M., and Garcia-Ojalvo J. "Circuit-level input integration in bacterial gene regulation", Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Apr 23;110(17):7091-6. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1216091110. Epub 2013 Apr 9.
- Asally, M., Kittisopikul, M., Rué, P., Du, Y., Hu, Z., Cağatay, T., Robinson, A.B., Lu, H., Garcia-Ojalvo, J., and Süel G. M. "Localized cell death focuses mechanical forces during 3D patterning in a biofilm" PNAS, September 24, 2012, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1212429109
- Kuchina, A., Espinar, L., Cağatay, T., Balbin, A.O., Zhang, F., Alvarado, A., Garcia-Ojalvo, J., and Süel G. M. "Temporal competition between differentiation programs determines cell fate choice" Mol. Syst. Biol., (7) Article number: 557 (2011)
- Cağatay, T., Turcotte, M., Elowitz, M.B., Garcia-Ojalvo, J., and Süel G. M."Architecture-Dependent Noise Discriminates Functionally Analogous Differentiation Circuits", Cell 139(3):512-22. (2009)
- Gou, J*., Cağatay, T.*, Zhou G*, Chan, C.C., Blythe, S., Suyama, K., Zheng, L., Pan, Qian, C., Hamelin, R., Thibodeau, S.N., Klein, P.S., Wharton, K.A. Jr, and Liu, W. "Mutations in the human naked cuticle homolog NKD1 found in colorectal cancer alter Wnt/Dvl/beta-catenin signaling" *joint first authors. PLoS ONE 4(11):e7982.(2009)
- Chan, C.C., Zhang, S., Cağatay, T., and Wharton, K.A. Jr. "Cell-autonomous, myristyl-independent activity of the Drosophila Wnt/Wingless antagonist Naked cuticle (Nkd)" Dev Biol. 15; 311(2): 538–553. (2007)
- Zhang, S., Cağatay, T., Amanai, M., Zhang, M., Kline, J., Castrillon, D.H., Ashfaq, R., Oz, O.K., and Wharton, K.A. Jr "Viable mice with compound mutations in the Wnt/Dvl pathway antagonists nkd1 and nkd2", Mol. Cell. Biol., 27(12):4454-64 (2007)
- Waldrop, S., Chan, C.C., Cağatay, T., Zhang, S., Rousset, R., Mack, J., Zeng, W., Fish, M., Zhang, M., Amanai, M., and Wharton, K.A. Jr "An unconventional nuclear localization motif is crucial for function of the Drosophila Wnt/wingless antagonist Naked cuticle", Genetics, 174(1):331-48 (2006)
- Erdal, E., Ozturk, N., Cağatay, T., Eksioglu-Demiralp, E., and Ozturk, M. "Lithium-mediated down-regulation of PKB/Akt and cyclin E with growth inhibition in hepatocellular carcinoma cells", Int. J. of Cancer, 20;115(6):903-10 (2005).
- Cağatay, T. and Ozturk, M. "p53 mutation as a source of aberrant β-catenin accumulation in cancer cells" Oncogene, 21(52):7971-80 (2002).
- Erdemir, T., Bilican, B., Cağatay, T., Goding, C.R. and Yavuzer, U. "Saccharomyces cerevisiae C1D is implicated in both non-homologous DNA end joining and homologous recombination", Mol. Microbiol. 46(4):947-957 (2002).
- Cağatay, T., Sayan, B. and Ozturk, M. "β-catenin status in hepatacellular carcinoma cells correlates with c-myc and cyclin E over-expression", European Association for Cancer Research (EACR XVI) meeting, WS6 (2000).
- Morel, A.P., Unsal, K., Cağatay, T., Ponchel, F., Carr, B., and Ozturk, M. "p53 but not p16 (INK4a) induces growth arrest in retinoblastoma-deficient hepatocellular carcinoma cells", J. Hepatol. , 33:254-265 (2000).