Jef K. De Brabander is a native of Belgium where he pursued his undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of Gent. Following postdoctoral studies with the late Wolfgang Oppolzer at the University of Geneva and Paul Wender at Stanford University, he began his independent career as a junior faculty member at the University of Geneva. After one year, he was recruited to the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, where he was promoted to Full Professor in 2007. Jef De Brabander was an Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellow from 2001-2003, and is serving on the SAB of Reata Pharmaceuticals, a company he co-founded.
- Academic Development Program Award from the Chemistry Council of Merck Research Laboratories, 2004-2008.
- "Journal Award" from the editorial boards of Synlett and Synthesis, 2006.
- Alfred P. Sloan Research fellowship 2001-2003.
- NATO-fellowship, 1995-1996.
- Fulbright-Hays Award, 1995-1996.
- Fellowship from the Swiss National Science Foundation, 1994-1995.
- Prix STAS par l'Académie Royale des Sciences, des Lettres et des Beaux-Arts de Belgique (STAS-award from the Royal Academy of Sciences, Letters and Beautiful Arts of Belgium), December 10, 1994.
- Scholarship from the Institute for Scientific Research in Agriculture and Industry (Belgium), 1989-1992.
- The Robert A. Welch Foundation
- Texas Higher Education Coordinationg Board
- UT System Office of Research and Technology Transfer
- Merck Research Laboratories
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- NIH /AI
- Reata Pharmaceuticals
Selected professional activities:
- Reviewer: American Chemical Society Journals, Angewandte Chemie, Tetrahedron Letters, Tetrahedron, Chemistry ? A European Journal, Synlett, ChemBioChem, Bioorganic and Medicinal, Chemistry Letters.
- Ad Hoc reviewer for the National Science Foundation.
- Ad Hoc reviewer for the National Institutes of Health Study Sections.
- Member of the National Institutes of Health SBCB Study Section (2007 - current).
- Founding member and member of the Scientific Advisory Board of Reata Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Vice-Chair, Natural Products Gordon Research Conference, Tilton, New Hampshire, July 26-31, 2009.
- Chair, Natural Products Gordon Research Conference, Tilton, New Hampshire, July 25-30, 2010.
- Chair, ESF-COST High-Level Research Conference on Natural Products Chemistry, Biology and Medicine III, which,
Acquafredda di Maratea, Italy, September 5-10 2010.