Transcribed version The origins of UT Southwestern can be traced to the formation of the Southwestern Medical Foundation in 1939. The Foundation was created
by a group of prominent Dallas citizens, led by the late Dr. Edward H. Cary and Karl Hoblitzelle, to promote medical education and research in Dallas and the southwest. Therefore, the Charter of the Southwestern Medical Foundation is one of the founding documents of UT Southwestern.
Scanned version In this letter of February 25, 1942, a group of Baylor University College of Medicine faculty and alumni express their "...unqualified support in the launching and building of a new medical college in Dallas..." This letter was an important show of support for the proposed new medical college.
Scanned version When the new Southwestern Medical College opened its doors in 1943, the combined faculty and staff was quite small in number. The campus telephone directory of Summer 1943 was only 1 page long!