Library Staff—Richard Wayne
Title: Assistant Director for Strategic Planning
My primary responsibilities are in the areas of strategic planning and organizational development and include:
- Manage strategic planning and the strategic planning process for the Library
- Do presentations on topics of strategic import
- Enhance intra-Library communication and coordination
- Help lead organizational development activities such as the project management class and similar workshops
- Serve on the OAC
- Other duties as assigned by the OAVP
Contact me with questions or instruction about:
- Where the Library should be headed in the future
- Broad development areas for Library staff
- Issues of strategic import
- School of Health Professions
Areas of Interest:
- The future of libraries
- Organizational dynamics and organizational development
- Management philosophy and strategy
- Long-term strategic competitive advantage
- Time and project management
MBA, with honors, UT Arlington
I have spent the last 30+ years with an IT focus, and many of those skills are still current. However, I have shifted to a focus on strategic planning and organizational development.
During the last 10+ years, I have also worked with Strategic Information Management Services, a library consulting company. Through this venue, I have consulted with a variety of libraries around the country in the areas of library automation, library planning, and library development.
- Although I don't teach a regular class, I do numerous presentations to Library staff on issues that have strategic import.
Selected Talks and Presentations:
- "Tricorders, Light Sabers, and HAL [New Development in Library Technology]," Computers in Libraries Conference, Washington, D.C., March 2003.
- "Basic Computer and Network Troubleshooting," Texas Library Association Annual Conference, Houston, Texas, April 2003.
- “PC Defense Arts,” UT Southwestern Library Showcase, November 2003.
- "Designing an Effective Organization," EDUCAUSE Southwest Conference, Dallas, Texas, February 2004.
- "Basic Computer and Network Troubleshooting (2nd Annual)," Texas Library Association Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 2004.
- “Improving Information Security in Your Library,” North Texas Regional Library System Quarterly Meeting, January 2005.
- “Setting up a Wireless Network,” Texas Library Association Annual Conference Pre-Conference Workshop, Austin, Texas, April 2005.
- “Information Darwinianism,” Dynix Institute, May 2005.
- “Staff Technology Training Series,” UT Southwestern Library, 2003, 2004, & 2005.
- "Information Darwinianism: Not Your Mother's Library," Texas Library Association Annual Conference, Houston, Texas, April 2006.
- "Information Darwinianism: Not Your Mother's Library," Medical Library Association Annual Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, April 2006.
- “Core Competencies in Library Technology: Where IT is and Where Its Going,” American Library Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, June 2006.
- “Keeping Up With Technology: New Trends and Terminology,” Texas Library Association Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 2007.
- “Web 2.0,” DFW Area SirsiDynix Users’ Group Meeting, Tyler, Texas, June 2007.
- "Not Your Mother’s Library: Information Darwinianism,” Amigos Annual Spring Conference, Dallas, Texas, May 2007.
- “Not Your Mother’s Library: Information Darwinianism,” Amigos Online Course, Dallas, Texas, October 2007.
- “Top Technology Trends for Texas (T4) Libraries,” Texas Library Association Annual Conference, Dallas, Texas, April 2008.
- “Transformational Change: The Evolving Role of Library IT Departments,” American Library Association Annual Conference, Organizer and Speaker, Anaheim, California, June 2008.
- Module contributor, MLA online CE course on library assessment and strategic planning, 2009.
- “Performance Measurement: Organizational Changes and Outcomes Monitoring,” Library Assessment Conference and North Texas Library Assessment Group Conference, co-author, November, 2010.
- Co-Chair, Texas Library Association Strategic Planning Task Force, 2011-2012.
- “Libraries, Creativity, Liberty: Creating the New Texas Library for the 21st Century," Co-authored with Louella Wetherbee, Texas Library Journal, Winter 2003.
- “An Overview of Public Access Computer Software Management Tools for Libraries, " Computers in Libraries Magazine, June 2004.
- “Redesigning a Library’s Organizational Structure,” Co-authored with others, College & Research Libraries, January 2005.
- “Helping You Buy: PC Management Software,” Computers in Libraries Magazine, February 2005.
- “Top Texas Technology Trends For Libraries,” Texas Library Journal, Spring 2005.
- “Top Technology Trends in Texas Libraries: Wireless Networking & Anti-Spyware Software,” Texas Library Journal, Summer 2005.
- Library Technology Now, librarytechnologynow.org, Editorial Board. 2004, 2005, 2006.
- "Top Technology Trends For Libraries," Texas Library Journal, Spring 2006.
- “A Thin Client Computing Road Test,” Texas Library Journal, Summer 2006.
- “Helping You Buy: Security-Control Software,” Computers in Libraries Magazine, June 2006.
- "Helping You Buy: Integrated Library Systems," Computers in Libraries Magazine, October 2006.
- “Top Texas Technology Trends for Libraries,” Texas Library Journal, Spring 2007.
- “Helping You Buy: Integrated Library Systems,” Computers in Libraries Magazine, October 2007.
- “Top Technology Trends for Texas (T4) Libraries,” Texas Library Journal, Summer 2008.
- Core Technology Competencies for Librarians, Chapter author, Neal-Schuman Publishers, 2008.
- “Report of the LITA Heads of Library Technology (HoLT) Interest Group Meeting, American Library Association Midwinter Meeting, Philadelphia, January, 2008,” Technical Services Quarterly, 2009 (no. 3).
- “Three Library Building Blocks for Planning for the Future,” Texas Library Journal, Winter 2010.
- “The academic library strategic planning puzzle: putting the pieces together,” College & Research Libraries News, January 2011.
Software Application Skills:
- As a systems manager for many years, I have extensive experience with a broad array of systems and end-user software.
Awards and Grants:
- 2001 Texas Infrastructure Fund grant